Bertie is a Roundhouse Engineering basic series freestyle 0-4-0 saddle tank locomotive.
Saddle tanks were probably the most common type of small locomotive found on British narrow gauge railways and Bertie is typical of the style.
Bertie would be a good first locomotive for anyone thinking of starting out with live steam and you can personalise it to your own requirements with the additional parts and accessories available.
This locomotive is in green and has been fitted with a brass chimney cap, and cylinder covers at the factory
Bertie uses a gas fired boiler and slip-eccentric valve gear so once you have steam up you simply open the regulator and give him a gentle push in the direction you want him to go.
Technical specifications for 'Bertie'.
- 0-4-0 inside framed chassis with double acting slide valve cylinders operated by slip eccentric valve gear.
- Internal gas firing using the ROUNDHOUSE 'FG' gas system.
- Controls fitted as standard are:-
- steam regulator
- safety valve
- displacement lubricator
- gas regulator
- Dimensions (loading gauge) are:-
- length 270mm over buffers
- width 118mm
- height 145mm
- weight 2.1Kg.
- 32mm gauge (non adjustable)
- A gas filling adaptor is required.